Holiday Cottages in Penzance
The name Penzance comes from the Cornish, Pens Sans, meaning 'holy headland'. Holy headland refers to the small rocky headland to the south of the harbour where a chapel once stood.
Sir Humphry Davy (1778-1829) was probably the town's most famous resident, and his statue now stands outside the nineteenth century Market House in Market Jew Street.
There is also a plaque on a nearby wall dedicated to Sir Humphry Davy.
The oldest street in Penzance is Chapel Street. This is where the Egyptian House stands. The house was built in 1836 during a craze for Egyptian fashion and design, and provides Chapel Street with a splash of colour and individuality. Behind the Union Hotel, opposite the Egyptian House, is the Georgian Theatre. The theatre was built around 1786 and is possibly the oldest remaining Georgian theatre in the country. Also on Chapel Street is the home of the Bronte sisters' mother, Maria Branwell.
Penzance town has many well known chain stores as well as small boutiques and independent traders. There are also several galleries, plenty of cafes, pubs and restaurants, and an amusements arcade on the promenade. The beautiful subtropical Morrab Gardens are located between the town centre and the promenade. The town also has a District museum, an outdoor sea water, art deco Jubilee swimming pool, a maritime museum and a geological museum.
Each June, Penzance celebrates its Golowan Festival - a ten day arts festival with carnival processions and dancing.
On the outskirts of Penzance there is a Tesco, Morrisons, KFC and Morrisons.